Technology has made great advancements in nearly every industry including in dentistry. Today, we are able to show our patients greater detail, find trouble spots sooner, while performing treatments faster and easier. The benefit of these tools is better care for you. Our team at Lincoln Dental Arts strives to constantly learn and improve our techniques and treatments performed so you can always trust that you are in good hands.
We have updated nearly every tool in our office to modern devices to enhance your treatment. These tools include:
Often referred to as the best tool we have, digital radiology provides us a peek into areas of the tissue that are otherwise hidden. By taking digital x-rays, we are able to see change to the bone and identify problems faster, before they become larger problems. Through early detection, we can suggest treatments that can prevent more extensive procedures in the future, saving you time, money and the need for surgery.
We use x-rays images to diagnose and as an educational tool helping to enhance conversation and increase understanding. With x-ray images, we can detect and show our patients a number of disorders including:
- Tooth Decay: Often, tooth decay can be spotted through visible observation, but sometimes the decay can be internal, or seen only through x-ray.
- Cysts: A cyst is a symptom of bacteria and infection. We look for cysts both on the surface and below.
- Tumors: Tumors can be a symptom of a larger issue, we will want to examine and determine if more steps need to be taken.
- Impacted Teeth: An impacted tooth is a tooth that is unable to come into position fully above the gum line. This may be due to lack of space or because the tooth is not positioned correctly.
- Teeth Still Coming: We can view the health and positioning of teeth yet to come into position and determine if assistance is needed to come in correctly.
An ultrasonic scaler is a tool that our hygienist uses to assist in cleaning your teeth when tartar or calculus is present. It is commonly used in most adult dental cleanings. Traditionally, tartar and calculus were only scraped by hand. Today, our hygienist will still often use the hand tool to work on pieces that are more difficult and use the hand tool for a final once over after treatment, but the ultrasonic tool completes the work more efficiently and with less discomfort to the patient.
The ultrasonic scaler works by creating a cascade of microscopic bubbles which then implode on the tooth, this kills any microbes while also removing hardened plaque and tartar without damaging the enamel.
The intraoral camera helps us show our patients areas of concern in their mouths. This live camera is about the size of a toothbrush and can gently be navigated in their mouths while displaying live images on a screen nearby. With it, we can show our patients any areas of decay, broken fillings or fractured teeth. We find that this helps us describe improved hygiene routines and explain why treatment is necessary. Education and understanding is an important aspect to what we do.